Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:04:40 +0200
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Selectively disabling acpi sub-systems

--Sig_PI/0QyBgQocsOlDfIy9bt8H

John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Monday 10 July 2006 08:38, Fabian Keil wrote:
> > As described in:
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-June/026554.html
> > I'm currently experiencing strange hangs or crashes with a FreeBSD
> > RELENG_6 system running Tor.

> >=20
> > Could someone please tell me how to stop acpi0 from
> > grabbing sio0, without affecting fxp0?
>=20
> You most likely can't.  You can't disable ACPI from managing devices
> and then expect it to manage PCI interrupts.

Thanks for the clarification, I misunderstood the man page then.
=20
> As far as your actual panic.  I've looked at the PR's, etc. and there
> are few if any details.  For example, what is a "hard crash?"  Does
> the machine turn off?  Is it locked up such that it won't respond to
> pings? In general, even if it's deadlocked you can break into DDB via
> a serial console (trust me, I've seen this far too many times at my
> day job in the past few weeks).

I don't have physical access to the system and have no way to tell
if it turned it self off or just hangs.

All I can tell is that it suddenly stops responding on the network
and on the serial console, which makes manually entering ddb impossible.

If the system is running the serial console is working as expected:
I can enter ddb with <cr> ~ ^b, sysctl debug.kdb.enter=3D1 (or by typing
kldload /dev/mem instead of mount_procfs ...).

Another sio related thing where I'm not sure if it means anything:
according to top -S, "swi4: clock sio" hardly ever leaves the state
*Giant.

top's output is logged every five minute and at the moment I have:

[fk@tor ~]$ sudo grep "clock sio" /var/log/stats.log.bak | wc -l
    1022
[fk@tor ~]$ sudo grep "clock sio" /var/log/stats.log.bak | grep Giant | wc =
-l