Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 08:37:15 -0600
From:      "Jay L. West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
To:        Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP (iijppp) proxy ARP bug?

At 12:56 PM 3/21/96 -0800, you wrote:
>I seem to have found a bug in iijppp. It doesn't always delete the ARP
>entry when the connection is closed. Further connections on that IP
>address don't work until I manually arp -d the entry.
>
>The server is a FreeBSD 2.1-R system, and the client is a 2.0.5-R machine.
>Both are using iijppp. Static IP address. Nothing out of the ordinary.
>Right now, I am the only person who uses the system for dialin, so this
>isn't exactly high-load.
>
>Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a fix?

Someone helped me with this problem here and I was sooo grateful I'm obliged
to pass the solution on to others <grin>.

You are seeing 'the infamous arp bug'. If you are running 2.1R, go to
ftp.freebsd.org and download a file from the -stable branch (I think the
path was usr/src/sys/netinet) called in_rmx.c and replace your in_rmx.c with
the one from stable. Then remake your kernel and all should be well.

You should note that this doesn't keep the arp entries from appearing, but
it does allow new connections to overwrite the old routes; it works.

Jay West