Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 20:03:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net (Jaye Mathisen)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Doing the FreeBSD tightrope walk.

> Just about enough to make me switch sometimes...
>
> P6-200, 128MB RAM.  -RELENG_2_2 supped from 4/13.
>
> I'm getting a panic when doing a bunch of rm's via NFS.
>
> So I build a kernel with -g, and now reboot, and now I panic with:
>
> panic:  bounce memory out of range.
>
> WTF is this?
>
> All that's in this box is 2 7880's, and 2 dnet0 DEC DE500-AA's.
>

> Any tips appreciated.

Turn off bounce buffer support.  There are some problems with
allocating too much bounce memory.  If you need bounce buffers,
inside of the bounce buffers calculation (#ifdef BOUNCE_BUFFERS)
where the number of bounce buffers are calculated in /sys/i386/i386/machdep.c,
limit the number of bouncepages to 128 instead of it's excessive value.

Good luck, and give me some feedback!!!

John