Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:59:10 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disklabel 101?

* The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org> [010407 05:32]:
> Rasputin wrote:

> > <PHYSICAL><-----EXTENDED-----><------PHYSICAL------------>
> >  ad0s1     ad0s5    ad0s6      ad0s3
> > <-winXX--><-msdos-><Slackware><-------BSD---------------->
> > |  2Gb    |  1.5Gb | 2Gb      | / | swap | /usr  | /var   |
> >                       ^
> > old FUBARed Slackware partition

> > It's in the second logical partition in an extended DOS partition on
> > my second physical partition (dev/ad0s6 in FreeBSD)
> > There's a Gb of data in ad0s5 (which is fine).
>
> FreeBSD doesn't know extended partitions from what I can see.  Does
> your FreeBSD actually see ad0s5/ad0s6?  'Cause mine never seemed to
> found; I used PartitionMagic to convert my DOS partition from logical to
> primary largely to deal with this.

I can read ad0s5 OK, except I get some wierd errors when lookng at files.
I was trying to back up my w95 profile from ad0s5 to a zip drive, and ls
seems to die in strange and wondorus ways e.g.

(/extra is where /dev/ad0s5 is mounted)

/extra/w96bak/netscape-profiles/rasputin/
holds my w95 netscape profile.

trying to CD into it fails, 'not a directory'

du -ksc /extra also falls over with read errors.

I assumed it was because ad0s6 was screwed, so didn't think any more of it.
Does anyone else have problems reading DOS extended partitions?
I'd send a pr for this, but don't want to so close to a RELEASE
unless it's seen by others.

> Anyway, as far as *I* am aware what you've really got is:
>
> ad0s1 - first partition = winXx
> ad0s2 - second partiion = extended
> ad0s3 = third partition = BSD

Check.
Although the plan is to steal some space from ad0s2 for ad0s1
(half-life....drool....)
and then reformat what's left into another BSD parttion for /usr/src
(hence the stoopid disklabel question)

> (And what release are you running, BTW?)

4.3-RC (The One With The B0rken PCM Header)

--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns