Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 10:15:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "William R. Somsky" <somsky@dirac.phys.washington.edu>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: on the subject of changes to -RELEASEs...

> > how about making these "well known" files such as /etc/resolv.conf,
> > /etc/host.conf and other stuff symlinks into /var/etc ? This is

Um...  Maybe I'm wrong, tell me if I am, but I thought that,
at least at one time, one of the virtues of /var was that it
was meant to be a "semi-scratch" space, containing spool
directories and logs and such, but nothing critical --
if it got filled or trashed, you perhaps lost mail messages
and print jobs and such, but didn't destroy your system.  If
the traditional /etc local system modifications files go there,
it loses all these nice properties.  But then, I guess I have
seen things like yp put there, which would be nasty to lose.

Was this ever the case?  Or have I completely misinterpreted
what /var was meant for?  I'm confused...  Please, enlighten
me a bit, if you can (tall order, I know :-).

Dr. William R. Somsky			      somsky@phys.washington.edu
Department of Physics, Box 351560		 B432 Physics-Astro Bldg
Univ. of Washington, Seattle WA 98195-1560		    206/616-2954