Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 11:00:14 +1200
From:      "Craig Harding" <crh@outpost.co.nz>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jabley@clear.co.nz
Subject:   Re: Seti project / stats reset, new version available

Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz> wrote:

> I compiled the 1.1 client for FreeBSD3.1 -- what seems to be the
> problem with it? [It seemed to work ok for me, but I admit I didn't
> test it very exhaustively].

I'm running it on a P166 box running 3.1, and it's running quite
happily.

As an aside:

I noticed on the seti@home page, in the top user and machine states,
there are machines supposedly running i386 architectures, under
Windows NT, getting 9minutes of CPU time per work unit. As I
understand it, the seti@home clients report the CPU time per running
process and the recorded stats average across the multiple processes,
so N multiple machines under a single email address will not simply
result in an apparent CPU time per work unit of
actual_time_per_work_unit/N. With that in mind, what the hell are
these i386 based machines that achieve a CPU speed two orders of
magnitude greater than my P166? (and my Win96 Celeron 416MHz for
that matter).

Followups set to freebsd-chat.

						-- C.
--
Craig Harding         Head of Postproduction, Outpost Digital Media Ltd
     "I don't know about God, I just think we're handmade" - Polly