Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2012 06:20:45 -0400
From:      Rod Person <rodperson@rodperson.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Port update hosed entire system

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 08:02:54 +0200
Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 20:08:29 -0400, Rod Person wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I was attempting to update ports that used libogg with the command
> >
> > portmaster -d -y -r libogg
> >
> > I went away and came back some hours later and some updates had
> > failed. Now my shell segfaults on any command such as ls, clear or
> > su I tried to login on another console as root and after giving the
> > password it just goes back to login. I am at a loss as to what to
> > do to fix this one.
>
> That sounds like a really weird problem. FreeBSD and the
> ports (which portmaster deals with) are separated systems,
> so even if you totally hose your ports, the OS should not
> be affected.

I'm well aware of this, and is also why I no clue what could have
happened. It would never have occured to me that updating a port that
has to do with audio and video containers would totally leave me unable
to login into my system or issue and shell commands without getting
a segmentation fault.

I did discover that my / file system had run out of space -131MB.

I'm still able to issue sudo, so using sudo rm -r I was able to free up
25GB...but still, /bin/sh, ls, clear all seg fault and su doesn't work
and switching consoles doesn't let me log in.

I maybe be left with attempting a single user boot, but I'm still not
that comfortable at attempting such as I don't want to have a totally
useless box.

--
Rod Person
http://www.rodperson.com

"First we got population.  The world today has 6.8 billion people.
That's headed up to about 9 billion. Now if we do a really great job on
new vaccines,  health care, reproductive health services, we lower that
by perhaps 10 or 15 percent."
 - Bill Gates