Date:      Mon, 3 Oct 2011 15:19:59 -0700
From:      Artem Belevich <art@freebsd.org>
To:        Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange ZFS filesystem corruption

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu> wrot=
e:
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>
> The pool itself reports no errors. =A0I performed a scrub on the pool yet=
 this bizarre filesystem corruption persists:

> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> tape# zpool status backups
> =A0pool: backups
> =A0state: ONLINE
> =A0scan: scrub repaired 15K in 7h33m with 0 errors on Sat Oct =A01 19:22:=
35 2011

The pool *did* report 15K errors that it was able to repair.

I'd start with testing your RAM with memtest86 or memtest86+. ZFS
errors without reported checksum errors may be the sign of bad memory.
I.e. data gets corrupted before ZFS gets to calculate checksum and
later invalid data with valid checksum gets written to disk.

--Artem