Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 21:40:41 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new kldpath(8): display/modify the module search path

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 11:10:22AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
> > To me, it seems more sensible to use the same interface that
> > ldconfig uses.
>
> Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
>
> ldconfig is a serious pain in the ass, ever since the "fix"
> that made it not look in the linkage or configured directories
> on a lookup miss.
>
> This is particularly aggregious if you have a "/opt" or some
> other place where you prefer to install your ports or locally
> developed software.

Uh..  Terry.. have you even looked to check what this new
kldconfig thing is supposed to do? :)

kldconfig(8) does not traverse any directories; it just modifies
a list of paths.  As other posters in this thread have made me
believe, it doesn't even need to check for the existence of the paths.

The only kind of path traversing in the KLD case is done at
module-load time, by the linker_search_path() function in
sys/kern/kern_linker.c, invoked by kldload() syscall defined
in the same file.  It is there that any kind of checks should
be made (currently none, though I plan on addressing this soon,
in a very-very-very simple way, if Robert Watson doesn't do his
MAC thing first :).  kldconfig(8) just reads a sysctl value,
parses it into a list of paths, parses some user-specified options,
adds or removes paths as appropriate, and sets the sysctl value back.

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence is false.