Date:      11 Apr 2003 00:48:05 +0200
From:      Alex Kiesel <alex.kiesel@document-root.de>
To:        Ryan O'Neill <ryanlists@hostbaby.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/50781: devel/php4 is missing

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 00:36, Ryan O'Neill wrote:
> On Thursday 10 April 2003 01:36 pm, Xavier Beaudouin wrote:
> > And I think that lots of people are like me : asking theirself why this
> > was removed ?
>
> I'm pretty sure it was removed because of the changes the PHP guys made in the
> 4.3.x installation process.  By default, the mod_php4 port will install the
> apache module *and* the CLI version of /usr/local/bin/php.  There is also a
> CGI version of this binary (installed as the same name), which is impossible
> to install via ports without editing the Makefile.  See here for more:
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.commandline.php
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5c87221d.0302181422.67fc86eb%40posting.google.com
>
> Regardless, i think we should definitely have a port for the php standalone
> binary somewhere, since not everyone needs or wants apache.  And, ideally,
> i'd like to see an option in mod_php4 or a separate port so i can install the
> CGI version of the binary.

Yes, both CGI SAPI and Apache-Module-SAPI should be buildable and
installable by the mod_php4 port (or perhaps a cgi-php slave-port?).

The link above on php.net states that CGI and CLI versions both are
built by default but depending on the exact ./configure-options only one
is installed in $PREFIX/bin/. Should cli-php and cgi-php then be
exclusive ports?

> Course then someone has to decide: when to install PEAR, if the two separate
> binaries will have different names, what ini file(s) will they read, etc.

Someone has to decide, but it seems the most easy solution is cli-php,
because it only has a subset of dependencies of the mod_php4 port.

Greets,
-Alex