Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2007 23:58:32 +0400
From:      "Victor M. Blood" <freebsd@masm.elcom.ru>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.0 CURRENT, need help with panic: Trying sleep, but thread marked as sleeping prohibited

On 16.10.2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Victor M. Blood wrote:

>>> ipfilter is known to be broken.
>>
>> Today test system with ipfilter 4.1.27, for me all works fine.
>>
>> whats do:
>> 1) fetch -o - http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/ip_fil4.1.27.tar.gz | tar -zxf - -C /var/tmp && pushd /var/tmp/ip_fil4.1.27 && pwd
>> 2) more INSTALL.FreeBSD
>> 3) vim Makefile
>> Here may uncomment STALETOP_CFLAGS=-DSTALETOP and edit paths to ncurses inc and lib
>> 4) 'make freebsd' or 'make freebsd7'
>> 5) make install-bsd
>> 6) BSD/kupgrade
>> 7) rebuild and install new kernel
>> 8) reboot system

> Do you have the debugging options (INVARIANTS and INVARIANT_SUPPORT)
> enabled?  They are now disabled in RELENG_7.  If not you will just get a
> deadlock when you are unlucky :)
Yes, all debug options are stay by default.
= KERN
# Debugging for use in -current
options         KDB                     # Enable kernel debugger support.
options         DDB                     # Support DDB.
options         GDB                     # Support remote GDB.
options         INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra sanity checking
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
options         WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
options         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on spinlocks for speed
= END KERN

I have updated ipfilter to 4.1.27 until cvsup with tag=RELING_7 and sources
was from 10.10.2007 which system shows me panic with _sx_sleep() and
_rw_sleep() with ipf 4.1.23. After some tests :)) /ping, smbfs,
telnet, etc.../ Update of ipfilter was finished at 17:00 GMT+3, now:
# uptime
23:51 up 7:12, 2 users, load averages: 1,32 1,23 1,09

Now I'm have update CVS-tree, and build world for RELENG_7. With
ipfilter 4.1.23 system stay alive 1-2 min with inet work, I have been
compelled to disable ipfilter (ipf -D) for work with network.
While any failures are not present, all works normally.

--
With all regards, Victor M. Blood.   mailto: freebsd@masm.elcom.ru
FTN: 2:5024/1.95@Fidonet.org, ICQ#3567656