Date:      Sat, 06 May 2006 23:02:58 -0700
From:      Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@wdc.com>
To:        Parv <parv@pair.com>
Cc:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote 'viewing / control' of X Windows

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 01:34 -0400, Parv wrote:
> in message <20060506223053.X36981@ganymede.hub.org>,
> wrote Marc G. Fournier thusly...
> >
> > I'm dealing with a situation where I'm migrating ppl over to using
> > X vs M$ Windows ... I'd like to be able to help them out remotely,
> > similar to how I can with VNC for Windows ...
> >
> > Is there something similar for Unix that would allow me to
> > 'piggyback' in such a way that they're X desktop is an xterm on my
> > machine, so that I can move their mouse around, show them the
> > steps to do something, etc?
>
> I don't think one could use plain VNC (realvnc, tightvnc & such) to
> move mouse on already running X session.  Please let me know if that
> is possible.

Coming from a Linux background, There _is_ such support. There's one
called 'vino'
*  net-misc/vino
      Latest version available: 2.12.0
      Latest version installed: 2.12.0
      Size of downloaded files: 1,654 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.gnome.org/
      License:     GPL-2

which essentially does that. it connects to a running session.

If not mistaken, there is a VNC server edition that does that too

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!