Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:33:56 +1000
From:      Alastair Rankine <alastair@cia.com.au>
To:        Dave <dave@gregory.dyn.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gartner group article

At 08:25 PM 10/06/98 -0400, you wrote:
>http://advisor.gartner.com/inbox/articles/ihl2_6398.html
>
>In it they say such things as:
>"Unix systems at free or minimal charge will lack the performance
>tuning, scalability and hardware platform support to make them suitable
>for large commercial applications through 2002 (0.9 probability).

I think the rationale here is that because free operating systems are
developed by individuals, not corporations. The individual's range of
available hardware, and the demands of scalability just aren't as great as
for a corporation.

--
 [ Alastair Rankine ]        [ mailto:alastair@cia.com.au ]
             [ http://www.cia.com.au/alastair ]