Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:24:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advanced Ports usage

Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com> types:
> So, is it possible to build ports on the master machine, such that if it
> requires a dependency, the master will build, but not install the
> dependency, and later the end-user machine can install both the primary
> port and the dependancies needed?  I really don't want to be cluttering up
> the master machine with all sorts of ports that I don't need, when I'm
> only building them for the slower clients.

In general, no. There are a number of categories of dependency, and
some of them are required on the build machine to actually build the
port. In fact, the only category that is not clearly needed is
RUN_DEPENDS, and those aren't installed until you do a "make install"
as things are now. In other words, you've got what you want for this
as close as you can get it without restructuring the system.

> Also, the Ports don't seem to honor NOMAN=true in /etc/make.conf.

I don't see that mentioned in /etd/defaults/make.conf or the make.conf
man page, so it doesn't surprise me that it doesn't work.

> In fact, in an ideal world, I'd like to install the manpages and
> buildtime-only dependancies on just the master machine, and install only
> the runtime binaries/configurations on the client machines, just to keep
> everything nice and clean...

That makes a lot of sense to me, but it's not currently supported. On
the other hand, a custom script that built packages sans man pages and
deinstalled what what went into the packages should be straightforward
(packages are built from *installed* ports). You could even have it
modify the +CONTENTS file in /var/db/pkg to reflect what it left
behind.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.