Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2018 15:30:19 -0800
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: Something has gone south with -current

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 03:06:22PM -0800, Steve Kargl wrote:

> make core dumps.
> devd core dumps.
> init core dumps.
> cc   core dumps.
> c++  core dumps.
>
> Something seems to be broken.

Further investigation,
as core dumps.
cpp core dumps.
/rescue/vi core dumps.

All of these programs are statically linked.  Note, ar and ranlib
have static linkage, and appear to still work but these were not
replaced by the failing 'make installworld'.

Ah, so if I go into /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/ar, this ar
is static and not stripped and works!  But, if I do

cp ar ar.new
strip ar
./ar

This ar core dumps.  So, stripping static binaries seems to
break the binary.

--
Steve