Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 96 07:24:05 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   1542CF Hangs

I just purchased a new Pentium with a PCI bus.  My configuration is;

120 MHz Pentium, 4 PCI slots and 3 ISA slots, 32 MB memory,
two EIDE controllers on motherboard,
two serial and one parallel port installed on the motherboard,
S3 card plugged into a PCI slot,
AHA 1542CF plugged into an ISA slot,
WD1003 ethernet card plugged into an ISA slot,
a Caviar 280 (80 MB) drive as /dev/wd0 (boot device),
a Caviar 2100 (2 GB) drive as /dev/wd1 (unformatted),
a Quantum 730S SCSI drive as /dev/sd0 (/usr),
a Connor 4mm SCSI DAT tape drive,
a 4Plex SCSI CDROM drive.

The software I'm using is FreeBSD 2.1.5R with bounce buffers turned on.

I am getting SCSI timeouts on every device on the bus, yet the kernel
recognizes the 1542CF and each SCSI device at boot.  The system will boot to
single user state however once I reference any SCSI device it hangs with the
following messages displayed on the console at regular intervals:

	AHA(0,sd0,0) Timout
	AHA(0,sd0,0) Timout, Again

This may not be the exact representation of the messages as I'm going from
memory once again.

Most of this hardware had been previously installed on a 33 MHz 486 DX with
an ISA bus and worked just fin ont the old machine which also ran 2.1.5R:
The 80 MB drive, all of the SCSI hardware, and the WD1003
ethernet card, (along with a Seagate IDE 420 MB disk drive which was not
installed in the new machine, was /export and will be installed once I
finish copying the 80MB drive to the 2GB drive).

The old machine had 20 MB memory.

The Adaptec BIOS diagnostics utilities can read the disk so this probably
rules out any hardware related issues.

I've tried various BIOS and chipset (sorry I cannot remember the chipset
name) options, all to no avail.

The only options I can think of are;

1.  Purchase an Adaptec 2940 controller for a PCI slot, or

2.  Upgrade to the latest -SNAP release that I've received, or

3.  Do something irrational.

Cy Schubert                    OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
Open Systems Support          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
ITSD                        Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       cschuber@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca

		"Quit spooling around, JES do it."