Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:43:29 -0000
From:      "Philip Pereira" <info@wintellect.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Funny Printer - is there but doesn't work

Hey smart-people of FreeBSD-ism,

I love FreeBSD, but am having trouble with my printer. I have a Canon
BJC-3000.
I un-hashed the default "printcap" file to have a basic lpt0 printer - but
nothing prints.

I type in the command

lptcontrol -i

followed by

lpd

but when I print something - nothing comes out at the printer. The "lpq"
contains no items and I know it's being sent through because if I don't use
the command "lpd", the jobs get stored in the queue until I do lpd.

"dmesg" contains the following details:

ppc: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE
ppbus0:  <Canon BJC-3000/1.11> Printer BJL,BJRaster3,BSCC,TXT01,BJScan2
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0

Thanks all - I look forward to your reply

Phil.