Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:48:32 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Dominic Marks <dom@helenmarks.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.2-PRE panic

--==_Exmh_1164419312_60514P

> Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 14:33:25 +0000
> From: Dominic Marks <dom@helenmarks.co.uk>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 14:18:22 +0000 (GMT)
> Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> > > Different experience from me. With a fresh kernel and the gnome daemons
> > > running I had an instant reboot, no core dump. Turning of polkitd and hald
> > > makes it go away reliably though.
> > >
> > > I intend to turn one of them back on to see if I can narrow it down further.

> > Is there an open PR on this problem currently?  I'm in the process of
> > reviewing my outstanding network PRs for 6.2 and I'm having trouble tracking
> > down all the pieces of this report.
>
> Not from me. Summary of my issue is that if I run polkitd/hald
> my 6.2 system will panic/reset every few hours. I setup a
> serial console as you suggested but couldn't work out how to
> get a serial console working in addition to my graphical
> desktop. Since this is my desktop I had to give up at that
> point.

It will probably be Monday before I can hook up a laptop to the serial
port to try to collect data, but it's not hard.

I put the line:
0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader -D -S38400
into /boot.config and
console="comconsole"
comconsole_speed=38400
into /boot/loader.conf.

You probably have /boot/loader.conf, but /boot.config will probably need
to be added.

If you want to be able to log in to the console port, you also need to
enable it in /etc/ttys. (usually ttyd0).

Get information on use of DDB at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/book.html#KERNELDEBUG-ONLINE-DDB

--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer