Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 11:09:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Subject:   firmware loading (was KLD - what's the idea)

Matthew N. Dodd once stated:

=I was kind of wondering how to avoid compiling in 20 to 60 Kb of
=firmware image for support of RAM based TMS380 cards. In addition,
=some each particular card may have specific firmware it wants loaded.
=I'm looking for some way to load a really basic config file to let the
=driver know which image goes with which card.
=
=Doing this from userland isn't good as I can't do much with the card
=until the firmware is loaded.

May be the DSI modem model will give an idea? AFAIU, DSI-modem
option creates a new ioctl, which can later be used by a userland
program to load a firmware file into the board.

BTW: FreeBSD does not have such a program, although it is fairly
simple to write...

	-mi