Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:29:45 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: ppp and default route

> Is there any way to prevent ppp from deleting the default route once a link
> is dropped ? I am using it in conjunction with the poptop port and there is
> no need for it to mess with the default route.  This behavior started
> happening after cvsup'ng from a May25th build to a July16th build.  I have
> it re add the default route in ppp.linkdown, but it only seems to work 80%
> of the time.

Ppp will remove all routes that use it's interface when it
deconfigured the interface.  If the default route you want isn't via
ppp's interface, it shouldn't be deleted.... however, there's a bug
whereby if you ``add default HISADDR'', ppp reckons it needs to
delete that sticky route and makes a mess under certain circumstances:

ppp.conf

tst:
  add default HISADDR

$ netstat -rn | fgrep default
default            172.17.0.1         UGSc        0        0   vmnet1
$ ppp tst
ppp ON hak> show route
Destination         Gateway             Flags  Netif
default             172.17.0.1          UGSc   vmnet1
$ ppp ON hak> q
$ netstat -rn | fgrep default

I think the right solution is to have ppp not delete sticky routes.
It still deletes all routes using it's interface.  I'll commit this
change later today.

Note, there *was* a bug whereby ``ppp -unit10 ...'' would have its
routes nuked by a running ``ppp -unit1 ...'', but that's already been
fixed (a few weeks ago).

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>