Date:      27 Mar 1997 11:47:35 +0000
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith), smc@servtech.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone else seen this?

"John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net> writes:

> > Shawn Carey stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > > Now that we are running 2.2-RELEASE, this anomaly appears to be
> > > something more serious than I originally thought, as gdb now stops the
> > > program with the message "Process killed due to text file modification",
> > > and sure enough, the file's date is changing but a diff between an idle
> > > copy and the "modified" executable is nil.  Furthermore, I have recently
> > > discovered that if I link the program with -static, the problem goes
> > > away.
> >
> > This looks very much like a problem that has been reported many times
> > before, where one or more pages from a process' text are written back
> > to the file.  The pages aren't actually changed, but the file's timestamp
> > is obviously updated.
> >
> I have not seen the problem on the 2.2 series recently.  However, I seldom
> use GDB...  Is this a problem that pops up when using GDB (setting breakpoints,
> etc.)?  If it is, then that will give me a direction to look in.  I'll also
> look into reproducing the problem this weekend.

I have noticed that GDB touches any executable which it is used to
debug.  I don't know about the shared libs but it seems likely that
they get touched as well.  I might have a go at tracking this one down
next week.

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 734 3761