Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:08:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr." <bsder@allcaps.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Jeff Behl <jeff@expertcity.com>, <fs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RAID alternatives

* Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> [030121 12:04] wrote:

> You're right, I misread the driver source and thought it wouldn't
> attach to a 7000 or higher.

As a side note, I don't use RAID 5 anymore, period.  While RAID 10 is
wasteful, a double disk failure normally doesn't take it out.  That's not
true for RAID5.

ATA drives have gotten so crappy that I have had drive failures during the
process of rebuilding from a drive failure.  Maybe we need a RAID 55 which
provides resilience against 2 drive failures ...

In addition, full RAID 10 provides a very nice method for creating
backups.  Shut down the system, pull one half the drives, put in all new
drives, and rebuild the array.  Voila!  Instant backup (and instant
recovery, if required).

-a