Date:      Mon, 29 Feb 2016 23:05:05 +0700
From:      Felix Hanley <felix@userspace.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Completely unscientific poll: cfengine, puppet, other?

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 10:39:56AM +0100, Fernando Herrero Carr=F3n wrote:
> El 28 feb. 2016 8:11 p. m., "Chris Inacio" <nacho319@gmail.com> escribi=
=F3:

> > Hello all,
> >
> > I was considering adding some more support into some tooling/ports for
> > FreeBSD and I thought it would probably be good to get configuration
> > management support some thought.  So I can understand under certain Lin=
ux
> > flavors (e.g. RedHat) that puppet is the de facto choice - since the
> > distribution packager has chosen one.
> >
> > Is there a dominant one for FreeBSD?
> >
> > Happy if you would just reply with which one, if any, you use.  If you
> want
> > to add more to the conversation, that's fine.  I understand the mailing
> > list I posted this to and the likely audience - as I said I started thi=
nk
> > about this from adding more support into some ports.
> >
> > Thanks
> > chris inacio
>=20
> Ansible?

Not sure if dominant but Ansible is great. Leaves a clean remote machine
and is very flexible.

I used CFEngine for a year or so but most of the time was spent jumping
through hoops just to do (what we thought were) simple tasks. Perhaps we
were just doing it the "wrong way" but I would not say it was intuitive.
It also proved to be buggy on enough occasions that we lost confidence.

We also used Puppet for a while and while Ruby is nice to work with it
gave us headaches with memory usage. That was a while back and things
may have changed.

For now I use Ansible where I can.

-felix

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr