Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 16:34:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apple, FreeBSD and the JCP

> Below is Apple's comment concerning the new Java Community Process (JCP).
> Does this represent anything close to a Java port to FreeBSD?  Is it in
> Apple's best interest to help the FreeBSD-Java team port JDK 1.2.2 and
> future JDK's?  Does anyone think that Apple might voice FreeBSD, or
> FreeBSD-sympathetic, concerns/issues on the Java executive commitee?

FWIW, there should be an announcement about Java/FreeBSD in the next
couple of days coming out of JavaOne.

It *just* came about, and I'm not allowed to say what exactly, but I
think you'll be happily suprised.

(And, if we're lucky, the promises in the annoucement may actually come
true. :) :) :)

However, that's not to say that we (the FreeBSD developmers) wouldn't
also stand to gain something by partnering with Apple.  Blackdown works
with Sun, and IBM make their own JDK offering, so working with Apple
might give us another Java option on FreeBSD.

Nate