Date:      Sat, 07 Jul 2001 16:52:06 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best DHCP server

>We're setting up a client who wants to support roaming Windows wireless
>adapters (802.11b), but only if they register their MAC address with them.
>We're going to use DHCP to allocate an IP and bandwidth depending on the MAC
>address. Any suggestions or comments on the best DHCP server for FreeBSD?

Thatīs two things:

For open source DHCP, www.ISC.org, ask them how they feel about your
application.

For bandwidth throttling, thereīs dummynet, or commercially, the excellent
www.etinc.com bw-mgr.  All reports Iīve heard about bw-mgr have been
postive, over the last two years.  etinc is in general supportive of
FreeBSD. Weīve used their WAN cards for two years without any technical
problems.  I donīt know if bw-mgr throttles by MAC address.  But if you
gave MAC addresses infinite leases, then bw-mgr could throttle by ip.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways