Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 1995 17:42:38 -0800
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        fernando@cea.Berkeley.EDU
Subject:   Re: Comments on 2.0 release

>1) The installation interface was MUCH better than the 1.1 CD I had.
>   What made it better was the support for my Adap 1522 Controller, which
>   allowed me to install directly from the CD instead of from a DOS
>   partition like last time (even this was better than using floppies).

We just did an installation of 2.0 for the first time over here.  It didn't
quite work, so the guy wants to try NetBSD (boo) instead.  But, and here is
the kicker:  he has decided to use the FreeBSD installation program to setup
and partition the disk, because it is so difficult to do under NetBSD.
Jordan et al deserve a LOT of praise, I think.

>2) When I was installing the XFree86-3.1 distribution, the CD-ROM
>   hung forever and I had to start all over.  First I thought it was the
>   size of it in combination with my slow controller, but when I tried
>   the src distribution (which is 160M vs 80M for XFree86), it worked fine.

We ran into the same problem, although we didn't install from CD-ROM!  We
had the CD-ROM mounted on another machine on the ethernet, and were ftp'ing
the files from it.  The machine hung during the processing of the XFree86
files, but when I ran the install.sh file manually, it worked fine...!

The system had an Intel 486DX4-100 (sic), an ASUS PCI motherboard, and the
disk was a SCSI disk hung off the built-in NCR PCI SCSI controller.

>Congradualtions on your superior product.

It was *fun* installing FreeBSD on the system.  From what I've seen, some of
the Linux installations would be equally or more fun, but this was, by far,
the spiffiest Unix system I'd ever installed -- and that includes SCO, which
has a pretty easy installation program itself!

(The guy is going with NetBSD, btw, because of the panic he got while
running FreeBSD.  I forwarded his message to the hackers list a couple of
days ago.  He determined that it worked with NetBSD by plugging the CPU into
a coworker's identical-motherboard-but-running-NetBSD system, and it didn't
panic.  He's promised to write a more extensive bug report about it...)

Sean.