Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 13:51:07 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        paul@FreeBSD.org, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: copyright notices for ports/packages

> Because the argument can easily be made that by "automating" it to the
> degree we have, we've removed even the most general oversight the user
> would usually have were they building the sources by hand.
>
> I'm just trying to forstall any future bad feeling, and we should
> definitely go the extra mile to make sure that copyrights are
> preserved out of ports and packages if for no other reason than to
> make US more aware of the licenses we're using or abusing.

Ok, I still think that if the original authors couldn't be bothered to
install the copyrights then we don't need to.

Hoever, the second point I agree with, we should have a Copyright
file in the top level of each port as part of our code, i.e. it's there
even when the sources aren't present, since we come across ports
quite often that have dodgy (from our point of view) copyrights and we
don't usually see these copyrights because they're hidden deep
in the original sources and the original porter either didn't bother
checking or didn't understand the issues involved.

I think we should make a specific not in the guidelines about checking
the copyright and copying it to a ./Copyright file so when a port is
added we can go and check the copyright ourselves without having to
install the whole thing. If you go for the installation of the Copyright
as well then it's at least in an easy palce to find so the mk file could
do the job rather than getting the porter to add it to the install list.

In fact, having the mk file look in a standard place makes it easy to fail
the build and shout at the porter that the Copyright issues hasn't
been looked at.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul