Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:48:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "H. Wade Minter" <minter@lunenburg.org>
To:        mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
Cc:        "Russell P. Sutherland" <russ@quist.ca>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   [PROBLEM] Re: Upgrading from the source

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, mikea wrote:

> I had absolutely no trouble going from 4.3-Release to 4.4 via
> cvsup. I did it all at once, too, rebuilding a cracked system
> from CD. Others' mileages may vary.

I actually had a really weird problem on one of my three FreeBSD boxes
that I cvsup'd and upgraded from RELENG_4_3 to RELENG_4_4.  On two of
the machines (nearly identical hardware), it went fine.  On one, though,
when I tried to boot into the 4.4 kernel, the networking on fxp0 went
haywire.  According to the on-site guy (it's colocated), it can ping its
IP address, as well as aliased IPs on the same box, it can ping localhost,
but it can't ping the router or any other address.  Booting the machine
into the 4.3 kernel (kernel.old), and it works fine.

Anyone have any ideas what could be going on with this one machine?  We've
replaced the motherboard and NIC to no avail.

--Wade

--
Do your part in the fight against injustice.
Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  http://www.freesklyarov.org/