Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:30:06 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mysql missing from my home-page WordPress....

	[Just a top post to say that recent troubles of unknown cause on
	my server --7.3-- have drained time from my thought of joining
	the "Blogger World."]

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 09:09:20AM -0800, Chip Camden wrote:
> Quoth Chad Perrin on Friday, 04 March 2011:
> > On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 07:27:44AM -0800, Chip Camden wrote:
> > >
> > > I have not had a lot of luck with upgrading from within the admin panel,
> > > but it is still easy to upgrade by downloading the latest tarball and
> > > simply extracting it over the installation.  Then go into the admin panel
> > > to see if it requires that you press a button to update the database.
> > > Done!
> > >
> > > Of course, make a backup first.

	I make bups of bups; the thing is that when I _thought_ i had
	"upgraded" by push-button nothing had actually happened.  My
	version had not been uprev'd to 3.1; it was still a 3.0.4.
	Etc.  I'mall but certain this would have been the same if I
	were running Linux.  ...So yes, I will d/load stuff, move or scp
	it into my www/data/blog/* and extract.  My proposed site is
	titled "...And miles to go before I sleep"; the blog directory
	is, literally "blog".  (I posted a question on the forum about
	where to change the author info and someone said it was
	"www.home/blog/author/authorID" --IIRC.  I didn't understand the
	answer.)

> > . . . and Heaven help you if you had to make any nontrivial changes to
> > your local install of WordPress to make up for some of its many
> > deficiencies, and don't have a detailed record of exactly what changes
> > you made, since I know of no upgrade methodology for WordPress that don't
> > destroy such changes in a way that makes it effectively impossible to
> > just apply a patch to reintroduce them.  WordPress developers apparently
> > like to substantially change the way things look in all the core files
> > (thus breaking patches made from earlier versions) without substantively
> > changing the way things work or the readability of the code.

	I just found the WP-3.1.zip file in my ~/Downloads directory.  I
	had not looked.  On the WP.org forum I claimed to be running 3.1
	rather than 3.0.4. Could have have nosed me somehow?  How
	tightly integrated are the clients integrated with WordPress?
	Another thin I don't quite get is whether this group in a
	non-profit [.org] or a for-profit [.com].

	I've seen some instructive videos for this effort; I'm assuming
	that these are for the ".com/commercial" side.  Is there a place
	on the WP .org side that has a series of tutorials-- 001 to NNN
	that I should read?  This one isn't going to be plug-in-an-use;
	it looks like it demands at least a moderate learning curve.

> > --
> > Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]
>
> Yes, I've been bitten by that.  Nowadays I confine all of my
> customizations to plugins or theme files, os I can always drop in their
> latest version and then check to see if they broke the plugins somehow
> (which has happened on occasion).

	Yipes.  Thanks for the clue.

	gary

--