Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 07:04:44 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Ian Clarke <i.clarke@student.murdoch.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: redundant mail services?

* Ian Clarke <i.clarke@student.murdoch.edu.au> [000425 04:07] wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to get an idea of how people set up a redundant email service. I've
> been doing a bit of experimenting with email services on a couple of
> servers I have here. The first server is running Redhat Linux 5.2 with
> Qmail and the second is running FreeBSD 3.2 with sendmail (I plan to make
> the Linux box into a FreeBSD box when I work up the willpower to do it :)
> ). Now, I set the mail exchange records in the DNS server (separate
> machine) so that by default, email is routed to the Linux machine. When I
> take the machine offline, it routes the email to the FreeBSD machine, as
> it should. However, how do I make the FreeBSD box then send the mail that
> it received, onto the the corresponding accounts on the Linux box, if it
> can be done? And seeing though it's already happened, as in there is
> accrued email on the FreeBSD box, is there some sendmail utility to then
> forward the incoming mail queues as a whole to the Linux box?
>
> Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to how to set up an ideal redundant
> email service using FreeBSD, I'd like to hear about it (in terms of
> software, not hardware tho - I've got precious little as it is :) ).

I haven't seen a definative HOWTO on doing this, my setup looks
like this:

primary server has a sendmail.cw file for all the domains it handles.

secondary server has a relay-domains file containing the same information
as the primary's sendmail.cw, my sendmail.cf on the secondary has
FR-o /etc/mail/relay-domains
to point at the relay-domains file.

I have all my MX set for 10 -> primary, 20 -> secondary.

This seems to work pretty well for me.

Best of luck,