Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:31:30 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jeremiah@sherline.com>
To:        <darklogik@pittgoth.com>, "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Advocacy help for CS professor

> This right here, and I don't really understand why, really really
> upsets me...  Why doesn't MS have Marshall Kirk McKusick?  I mean, this
> guy is smart!  Simple, because many of the so-called best programmers do
> not really want to work for MS...  Hell, even I outsmarted the MS tech
> support many times over...  And if the hire the ``best'' then why was
> their DNS software misconfigured?  Their OWN software!!!  By their OWN
> trained technicians!!!  Surely you remember the 3-days of downtime that
> hit a few months ago where Microsoft admitted that they misconfigured
> their own software...  And it took them how many days to get it working,
> they finally gave up and sent it over to another company, who has been
> running it perfectly fine since...  Read more at Wired.com, just search
> for Microsoft, and it was a few months ago...

There is a big difference between admins and programmers chief (except for
those of us who are both).  Poking holes in Microsoft's administrators and
tech support reps doesn't say very much about their programming staff.  The
truth is, Microsoft picks up quite a bit of the world's best programming
talent.  Whether they use that talent wisely, that's a management issue.
However, I don't think you're in good standing here when you knock on very
talented people, who have completed excellent Computer Science programs at
respectable universities.  I know that's not all there is to being a good
software engineer, but I believe you need to give them the benefit of the
doubt and not accuse them of incompetence based on their unrelated
other-department coworkers.  And as for any incompetence you can point out,
keep in mind how much management influences coding (depending on where you
work).  If the management of their software engineers sucks, they're going
to have a hard time putting out good code.  But to be honest, Microsoft DOES
put out awesome software sometimes.  The Age of Empires series of games was
flawless and made a mockery of the pathing engine in most other overhead
strat games.  Office 2000/XP is the cornerstone of a majority of businesses
today.  Whether you like the program or not, you have to admit, some
powerful coding went into that.  If Microsoft's programmers were as stupid
as everyone tries to make them out to be, they wouldn't have any successful
products.  I just don't like to see people blindly bashing the _programmers_
at Microsoft, for what are most likely management issues.  I like to think
I'm a computer scientist first, and all of the people in the computer
science field are my colleagues.  Other computer scientists are worthy of
some respect until you find some real evidence that they're not.  That you
outsmarted MS Tech Support, and that they outsourced their DNS, are not very
good reasons to knock programmers.  There are some valid reasons to bash
Microsoft programmers, and I'm sure someone will point them out, but you
haven't found them yet.

I don't mean any personal offense to you, but I just find empty bashing of
software engineers to be very distasteful.  If software engineers were the
beginning and the end of all software development, then you could knock on
them.  However, with management, marketing, design teams, etc etc etc, it's
a group effort.

> I don't eat meat, but lets have some fun... WOW!! I guess we should all
> eat ball park hotdogs cause that one basket ball player eats them, and
> tells us that they are great...  I'll tell myself whats great thank you
> very much...  And apologies that this is a more american product
> marketing scheme, but this is the point i'm trying to make:
>
> Microsoft has a huge popularity with many of my In Real Life friends,
> mainly you hear them associated with things like ``money hungry'' and
> ``unknowledgeable technicians'' and of course ``monopoly'' but the list
> goes on and on.

Hahahha.  Thank you, you've just brightened my day with a little humor.

In one paragraph you are refusing to be a follower and allow marketing
techniques to make you eat a certain brand of hot dogs, but in the next
paragraph you're spouting what you hear Microsoft associated with.  That
would be sad if it wasn't so funny.  You'll decide for yourself what hot
dogs you're going to eat, but you'll let people tell you that Microsoft is
"bad."  At least you have your priorities straight. (hot dogs > software)

> >>- OSS programmers could not possibly be as good as Microsoft
programmers,
> >>because Microsoft sponsors such things as nat'l programming competitions
> >>and hires the winners/hires the best of class from top universities,
etc.

The statement (not made by the person I'm responding to), is obviously false
logic to anyone who is educated.  You're making a statement, "OSS
programmers could not possibly be as good as Microsoft programmers", and
then backing it up by stating how Microsoft acquires good programmers.  At
no time do you describe why that means OSS cannot have equally as good
programmers.  I'm not sure if this is ad Ignorantiam or False Cause.  Anyone
smarter than I am care to point out the fallacy of inductive logic in this
sentence?

> Backward compatibility!!!  Where I work they wanted to throw XP on my
> main workstation (this one) which currently and unfortunatly has
> Windows 98.  I'm scared to have XP on here, not just because its
> a resource hog and insecure, and the interface bugs me, but what if
> say, a boring day comes along and I want to play doom?  Will doom work
> on XP (I've never tried it), will other windows programs that i've
> grown used to sigfaulting, sigfault in the same way on XP, or will it
> be worse...  I know thats sort of a humorous answer, but hell...

Well, since you're speaking somewhat out of (admitted) ignorance there, I'll
tell you, Windows XP is far more stable than Windows 98, and it will run
Doom just fine.  Have a blast.