Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 00:22:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dillon@earth.backplane.com (Matt Dillon)
Cc:        rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG (Robert Watson), freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Eliminate crget() from nfs kernel code?

[NFS use of crget()]

>     Hmm.  It's hard to say.  The standard doesn't say anything about
>     the credential needing to be root/wheel over the wire for statfs(),
>     but if we change it we will probably break someone somewhere.

It's implicit in the fact that results caching is permitted; that
means that the results you get need to be valid for everyone.  The
only way to assure this is to use a credential that can always get
results.  The only alternative is not to cache.

You convert the results based on local application of the credentials
to the information.

Yes, I know the status of caching and stacking layer based implied
caching in FreeBSD-current.  It does not refute the argument.

>     I think you want to keep crget()/crfree() if possible, just so you
>     don't have to worry about the data being sent over the wire breaking
>     some poor sod.  But if you want to bite the bullet and use the process
>     ucred I'd say go for it - keep a careful watch for complaints of
>     FreeBSD suddenly failing against various NFS servers though.

Note that this means you must keep the processes from which you
derive the data around, so if you have a stalled call blocked on
a server reboot (for example), you cause a lot of problems.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.