Date:      Fri, 23 May 2014 08:18:22 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strange svn problem on FreeBSD 10 STABLE

On Thu, 22 May 2014 11:49:36 -0400
Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

> Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I ran svn and get this as a result:
> >
> > Updating the source tree.
> > Updating '/usr/src':
> > At revision 266536.
> >
> > So, it all should be fine.
> >
> > When I compile then the kernel, I will get this:

> > ===> X220
> > mkdir -p /usr/obj/usr/src/sys

> > cd /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf;
> > PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/games:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/games:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
> > config  -d /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/X220  /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/X220
> > WARNING: duplicate option `NEW_PCIB' encountered. WARNING: duplicate
> > option `GEOM_PART_BSD' encountered. WARNING: duplicate option
> > `GEOM_PART_MBR' encountered. WARNING: duplicate option
> > `GEOM_PART_EBR' encountered. WARNING: duplicate option
> > `GEOM_PART_EBR_COMPAT' encountered. WARNING: duplicate option
> > `DEV_ISA' encountered. WARNING: duplicate device `isa' encountered.
> > WARNING: duplicate option `DEV_MEM' encountered. WARNING: duplicate
> > device `mem' encountered. WARNING: duplicate option `DEV_IO'
> > encountered. WARNING: duplicate device `io' encountered.
> > config: Error: device "vt" is unknown
> > config: Error: device "vt_vga" is unknown
> > config: 2 errors
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> > make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> > make: stopped in /usr/src
> >
> > There was a kernel with VT enabled installed on this machine. Ok, I
> > could imagine where the warnings come from but why is VT not part of
> > the latest revision?
> >
> > Is there a problem with my local copy? There have been some
> > interruptions during the download.
>
> Vaguely possible. However, my guess would be that you've changed the
> branch you're pulling the sources from, or the kernel configuration,
> or both. The vt driver is fairly new, so you need a reasonably recent
> 10.x or higher source tree to have it available.
>
> So: my advice.
>
>  (1) check what you have for sources: "svn info" will tell you, and
> "svn status" will tell you if you have changed any files in the
>      tree. Look at the output carefully for hints of problems. If svn
>      reports problems with its database, try "svn cleanup".

Relative URL: ^/stable/10
Repository Root: svn://svn.freebsd.org/base
Repository UUID: ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f
Revision: 266565
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: dteske
Last Changed Rev: 266562
Last Changed Date: 2014-05-23 06:10:16 +0800 (Fri, 23 May 2014)

So, this looks to me as the thing I expect.

>  (2) If your svn tree isn't tracking the branch that you intend to,
> fix that.  It looks like stable/10 or mainline head are good targets
>      for using the vt console device right now, although I may well be
>      wrong on that.

I have this machine on what is now 10 since summer 2012. So, it should
be all fine. What is most surprising for me is the fact that the
machine was running VT with the kernel some 4 weeks old. So, it is the
update that screwed something in the sources.

>  (3) Try building the GENERIC and VT kernels rather than your custom
>      kernel. If they build, then your custom kernel configuration is
> the problem, and you can either reconfigure that or just use one of
> the standard ones you just built. If they don't build, you will at
>      least get much clearer indications of the problem. [Don't use -j
>      with the make command.]

I never use -j options in this context anyway. The custom kernel works
since summer 2012. The only change I have made recently was the
addition of VT to it. I will try to build it with SC enabled.

>  (4) Make sure you're following the recommended upgrade path.

Isn't svn the recommended method? I use svn since the switch. I have
had several problems with it. They all could get resolved this way or
the other way. But here, I feel stuck.

> I probably could have been a lot more help if you'd included the
> output of "uname -a" and "svn info" in your message. And your kernel
> configuration file, although even better than that would be trying the
> GENERIC configuration and showing the results of that.

This is uname:

FreeBSD X220.alogt.com 10.0-STABLE FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE #30: Thu May 22
11:08:06 WITA 2014     erich@X220.alogt.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/X220
amd64

svn info's output is above. It all looks like what I want. I just do
not get it.

Erich