Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2015 22:31:53 -0600
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's the latest release from freebsd-update?

On 02/19/15 08:34, Dan Langille wrote:
> I want to write a check to let us know if a given server is on the latest
> version.
>
> For example, how can I determine that FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p5 is the latest
> and greatest?
>
> I could run freebsd-update and see what comes back, but that's not ideal
> for a Nagios check.
>
> This output seems promising:
>
> $ sysctl kern.version
> kern.version: FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p5 #0: Mon Nov  3 22:38:58 UTC 2014
>      root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
>
> Let's assume we use that as the check for the host.
>
> What do we compare it to?  Where can I find out that 9.3-RELEASE-p6 is
> available?

I'm running 9.3 (FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p5) as well, & I have noticed posts
going by onlist referencing 9.3-RELEASE-p9 (I think, might have been 8),
although that is little help to you. You & I are several months back
from today, probably safe to assume something newer is available. The
bottom of
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html
talks about comparing system versions.  If you do a 'freebsd-update
fetch' followed by a 'freebsd-update install' you will be updated to the
latest & greatest patch level, but I'm not sure there is a way of
checking that level apriori .... $0.02, no more, no less ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.