Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 03:22:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: quick question

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
>
> > > 	You're right but I forgot what someone said on the list as to
> > > set it to nothing at all since ^- sets it to - ;)
> >
> > Are you _SURE_  ???    ;)
>
> 	Yikes, I was on the wrong screen window!  Was on the SUN machine
> instead of the FreeBSD machine! ;)

Hmm... I seem to recall SysV supporting ^-, too, so SUN must be the odd
man out...

> > bash$ stty discard ^j
> > bash$ stty -a | grep discard
> > cchars: discard = ^J; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
>
> 	This is supposed to be the case...

Just resetting discard to something resembling its initial state....
Standard test procedure, as I'm sure you know... :)

> 	Hmmm, now why does ^- do the same thing as undef?  Can't you use
> CTRL and - at all? ;)

Because that's what the manpage says, and if that's what the manpage
says...! :)

As for using CTRL and -....

Well, let's just say I wrote a quick little hack to see what happened if I
set VSUSP to ^- and quickly found out I could no longer press <enter>.. :)

`stty -f /dev/ttyv0 -a' did report that SUSP character to be ^M, though,
for what it's worth!  :)

> > bash$ echo 'Also, I seem to remember saying something about `undef'\''...'
> > Also, I seem to remember saying something about `undef'...
>
> 	Hmmm, I thought I was the one who said that? ;)

Well, I sorta said `stty discard undef' would set discard to `u'...

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk