Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 09:23:23 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        lioux@uol.com.br
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How stable is the ATA code?

> 	I heard some rumors about some instability on the new ATA code combined with DMA mode.
> 	Is this founded? Can I safely build the latest stable and have a peaceful sleep?

From my experience the new ata driver isn't unstable. Where it works it
generally works well. I have 2 machines where I have no problems with
it. But like the rest of the PC world, there is no one true standard
for things. So there are some chipsets or maybe versions of chipsets
or maybe chipset and motherboard combinations where it has problems.
In my case a no-name brand motherboard with a VIA 82C586 chipset.

But these problems normally show up during instalation or just thereafter.
If you didn't have problems during installation or just after that, you
should be ok.

> 	Disabling DMA is not acceptable. I am running stable not current. :-)

Hehehe. I think you can only demand these things if you pay for the
development of the driver. :-)

Something that I would really like to see is a way to disable DMA from
the boot loader or some other place where it could be done early enough
so that the install floppy can work. Maybe make hw.atamodes settable
from the boot loader? I don't know how easy it will be, because I think
the other sysctls that can be set from there only set a value, but
setting hw.atamodes actually calls a function and I don't know if that
can be done from the boot loader. Maybe an option in sysinstall?

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za