Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 05:58:58 -0600
From:      Joe Warner <rootman22@attbi.com>
To:        "Christy Roberts" <christy@genesis.mun.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Brand new user!

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 10:14:28 -0230
"Christy Roberts" <christy@genesis.mun.ca> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> We're trying to set up a phpBB bulletin board on our website (which
> doesn't actually exist yet haha), that will use MySQL as the back end.
> We received an Apache server from tech services that has FreeBSD already
> installed on it.  And we're on our own now!  I just burned MySQL and
> phpBB onto a CD and am going to try to install them on the server.
>
> I have never used unix before nor do I have any experience working with
> servers or hardware.  I'm a software developer YIKES!  Does anyone have
> any tips or hints for me?  I would really appreciate this as I have no
> idea where to begin YIKES! :)
>
> Thanks ever so much...
>
> Christy
> St. John's, Newfoundland
> :-)

Hi Christy,

Does your install of Apache include php4 support?  I'd recommend
this if you're installing a PHP based forum system like phpBB.

/usr/ports/www/mod_php4

There was a recent vulnerability discovered with older versions but
I believe the port has been updated.  I suggest cvsup or portupgrade
to upgrade your ports before installing anything, just to be safe.

I'd also recommend /usr/ports/databases/phpmyadmin or
/usr/ports/sysutils/webmin for making management of your MySQL
databases a bit easier:

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/

http://www.webmin.com/

As far as phpBB goes, you can certainly install it from the ports
collection but I recommend you just download the current version
(2.0.1 - Full package) and unzip it in your web directory:
/usr/local/www/

Once you have unzipped it and followed it's install/configuration
instructions, you can simply link to where you store your web docs:

ln -s /usr/local/www/phpbb /usr/local/www/data/(name_it_whatever_you_want)

Regards

Joe

--
Dessert is probably the most important stage of the meal, since it will
be the last thing your guests remember before they pass out all over