Date:      28 Jan 2002 19:18:51 -0500
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        mh <mheyes@concentric.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't build Evolution: Solution?

On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 18:31, mh wrote:
[SNIP]

> I tried portupgrade -f -r freetype2 but still evolution complained about
> a missing /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.6.Tried portupgrade -f -r
> evolution too, same result. I've got to ask if you have evolution
> installed and working without the symlink (I changed the symlink to
> point to the new libfreetype.so.8). Did all the above after cvsup'ing
> the ports tree. Is it just me, or are others having a similar problem?

I still have XFree86 4.1.0_12 with:

	28:-lfreetype.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.6
	171:-lfreetype.7 => /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so.7
	204:-lfreetype.8 => /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so.8

Evolution 1.0.1 builds and runs just fine for me.  I will admit I just
rebuilt all my GNOME ports recently to work around some other problems.
However, freetype2 never gave me any direct problems as far as I can
tell.

> Got a newbie-type question too: It seems that binary upgrades can lead
> to different version of the same program being installed, and I assume
> this is even more the case doing a Release upgrade, say from 4.3 to 4.4.
> I use ports and portupgrade to keep programs current, but what about
> system files? Is there some place to read how to do this? Is it best
> done by getting the next release and upgrading through
> /stand/sysinstall?

I use cvsup to stay -stable with FreeBSD.  This involves rebuilding the
OS every so often.  For me, it's usually once per week.  The handbook is
a great source of knowledge on this subject:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html

"make world" is the best way to update the OS provided you're familiar
with all the steps.

Joe