Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 17:08:16 -0400
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Help with OpenLDAP

Does anybody have experience getting OpenLDAP to work with netscape? Or
at all? The OpenLDAP list doesn't seem to have much traffic so I'm
asking here. Couldn't find anything useful in the archives either.

I went through the quick-start stuff in the "SLAPD Administrators
Guide", or whatever its called. It just doesn't work. (I'm about to
smash something)

At first I kept getting "DSA is unwilling" when trying "ldapsearch -h
127.0.0.1 'objectclass=*'". After running 'slapd -d 255' I found that it
was the default referral (umich) that was returning that error. So I
took the referral out. Now it tells me "No such object". I ran ldbmtest
and there is data in the database. Its even the data that I put there. I
tried using ldapadd and ldapmodify to try altering the data and it tells
me "Insufficent Access" even when I'm root. Now I'm stuck.

Here's my slapd.conf in case it helps.

schemacheck     off
#referral       ldap://ldap.itd.umich.edu

pidfile         /usr/local/var/slapd.pid
argsfile        /usr/local/var/slapd.args

database        ldbm
suffix          "o=Neptune, c=US"
directory       /usr/tmp
rootdn          "cn=root, o=Neptune, c=US"
rootpw          secret

Thanks,
Brandon
--