Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:52:18 +0000
From:      Ashley Moran <work@ashleymoran.me.uk>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i386 java binaries causing 100% cpu on amd64

On Thursday 23 February 2006 09:57, Arne H. Juul wrote:
> this sounds like the problem I saw where the jdk tries to execute code
> from the data segment, and the amd64 CPU actually honors the execute
> protection (i386 traditionally has no notion of execute protection).

Arne

Do you know why this happens?  Is it a bug in the way (FreeBSD and Linux) i386
binaries are compiled?

> I think you can use an i386 version of jdk 1.5 to bootstrap, or
> recompile your i386 jdk 1.4 with the patches below.

I tried that too, which is why I thought it was bizarre.  Here is my "result
matrix" for java -version

			Athlon 64	Sempron 64
linux_base		fails		runs
linux_base-rh-9		runs		not tested
FreeBSD/i386 jdk4	fails		fails

The FreeBSD package was actually compiled on 6-STABLE dated a few weeks after
6-REL, whereas the two amd64 machines are running 6-RELEASE.  If that is not
the issue, it was fubarred from the start.

Ashley