Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:36:21 +0100
From:      Patrick Proniewski <patpro@patpro.net>
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network perf : em driver ? [solved]

Thank you all for your help.

I've finally found the bottleneck: the onboard PowerMac ethernet port.
After verification, changing network cables was not an option, I've
used on this connection a cat. 7 network cable.

I've connected the em0 port of the freebsd box on a gigabit PCI-X NIC
I have in the Mac, and given a second try to the "dd | nc" client/
server bench: 103 MB/s. This is far better !
Same setup with apache 1.3 on the mac, wget on the Freebsd: about 40
MB/s (350 MB file)

The PCI-X NIC has flow-control enabled:
	media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>) status: active
I'll check later the influence of this parameter.

Again, thank you all for your replies

patpro