Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 01:37:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@freebsd.org>, Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Akinori -Aki- MUSHA <knu@idaemons.org>, t@almanac.yi.org
Subject:   Re: (Read-only) CVS access for non-committer maintainers?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
>> Is there something better than anoncvs for port maintainers like myself
>> who aren't committers?
> Why don't you just cvsup the repository and use CVS locally?

1. KISS.

2. Last time I checked CVSup did not transmit the CVS repository
   itself, just the files in there, so I cannot perform `cvs log` or
   use cvs tags nor `cvs diff` on my local copy.

   Okay, I just noticed /usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile which
   seems to do what I want, even though the comments in that file itself
   are not correct.

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Will Andrews wrote:
> One obvious answer: space restrictions.  :-(

3. Another one: The machine connected to the net is not a FreeBSD box,
   and CVSup is not easily available on that platform due to being
   written in Modula.

> plus, [Gerald is] not a full-fledged developer, he's just someone
> who's very interested in maintaining his wine port.

Yup. ;-) It seems I have no chance but using both CVSup and CVS which
is absolutely overkill for what I have to do...

Gerald
Have a look at http://petition.eurolinux.org -- it's not about Linux, btw!