Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 20:07:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Clay Jackson <clayj@seanet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gateway local net over PPP

On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Clay Jackson wrote:

> I've lurked here long enough now, perhaps I can help (altho the quality and
> quantity of your answers is pretty amazing).
>
> In any case, what I did you get things working was to get a subnet from my
> ISP, and have them make changes (dunno WHAT changes) in their routing tables
> so that my subnet was 'visible' behind my ppp machine.  Once that was done,
> (almost) everything worked like a champ.

Unfortunately this is not possible with my current ISP.  I have no
intention of requesting an entire subnet from the UO over dialup.

> The only problem remaining appears to be around routed.  If I run routed
> with a -s (which is what the handbook and FAQs say), then if I also run
> "-auto", the blasted thing either never times out, or times out and then
> immediately redials, depending on my filter settings.  On the other hand, if
> I run "routed -q", THEN everything is OK, EXCEPT that I have to MANUALLY run
> 'routed -s' and let it connect ONCE after I reboot.

So you're using routed to do the proper translations.  I'll have to poke
at routed's docs then and see if I can configure it to do the right thing.

Unfortunately, I can't solve your problem -- I don't do routed.