Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:01:43 +0200
From:      Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
To:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: headinlines firstletter capitalized

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 02:17:02PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 03:09:23PM +0200, Josef El-Rayes wrote:
> > hi!
> >=20
> > i was wondering whether press article's headlines should have
> > capatalized first letters of each word or should it be the way it is
> > capatalized on the articles headline.
>=20
> Here's what the _Chicago Manual of Style_ says about capitalizing quoted
> titles (headline style):
>=20
> 7.127   In regular title capitalization, also known as headline style,
>         the first and last words and all nouns, pronouns, adjectives,
>         verbs, adverbs, and subordinating conjunctions (if, because,
>         as, that, etc.)  are capitalized.  Articles (a, an, the),
>         coordinating conjunctions (and, but, or for, nor), and
>         prepositions, regardless of length, are lowercased unless they
>         are the first or last word of the title or subtitle.  The to
>         in infinitives is also lowercased.  Long titles of works
>         published in earlier centuries may retain the original
>         capitalization, except that any word in full capitals should
>         carry only an initial capital.  No word in a quoted title
>         should ever be set in full capitals, regardless of how it
>         appears on the title page of the book itself, unless it is an
>         acronym, such as WAC, UNICEF, or FORTRAN.
>=20
> We should be using this universally, IMO.
>=20

I don't think we should do that.  We would have different headlines than
the original article, which is not good.
Quote the Manual of Style articles to the article authors instead :-)

Colin Parcival already quoted the according excerpt from the Manual of style
in another thread too.

- Christian

--=20
Christian Brueffer	chris@unixpages.org	brueffer@FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1--