Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 1998 07:45:50 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr (Michel TALON)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem compiling stable release

> Having cvsuped stable on a machine running 2.2.5 i have
> performed make -j 4 buildworld, which almost succeeded, but
> halted near the end complaining with a lot of doubly defined variables
> in /usr/src/lkm/cd9660.

The '-j' option is not supported for builds in the 2.2 tree; it's known
that there are bugs in the build structure which will cause it not to
work properly.

> Of course i have not installed the release, a good thing in view
> of the NFS problem, but was wandering if:

The "NFS problems" are related to the kernel, and are a warning of a
wasteful but otherwise benign memory bloatage.

> - it is dangerous to proceed as described above
> - if the -j4 option had bad interferences somewhere in the build process.
>
> Has somebody encountered a similar problem?

Yes.  Your built world is quite possibly busted; I would certainly not
be installing it.