Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2017 09:36:52 -0600
From:      "Christofer C. Bell" <christofer.c.bell@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Deprecated Package Dependency... what now?

Team,

I'm not sure how to proceed here.  I use git on my system.  It depends on
package p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.04.  This package is set to expire and be
removed.  For information on my system, I'm using FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p8,
amd64, and all binary packages (not ports).

>From the daily security report:

Checking for packages with security vulnerabilities:
p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.04: Tag: expiration_date Value: 2017-03-31
p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.04: Tag: deprecated Value: Deprecated by upstream, use
Net::SMTP instead

Here's where I can see that git depends on this:

$ pkg info -D p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.04
p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.04:
Always:
===>   NOTICE:

This port is deprecated; you may wish to reconsider installing it:

Deprecated by upstream, use Net::SMTP instead.

It is scheduled to be removed on or after 2017-03-31.

$ pkg info -r p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.04
p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.04:
        git-2.11.0_3
$ pkg info -d git
git-2.11.0_3:
        expat-2.2.0_1
        python27-2.7.13_1
        p5-Error-0.17024
        cvsps-2.1_2
        perl5-5.24.1.r4_1
        pcre-8.39_1
        p5-Authen-SASL-2.16_1
        curl-7.53.0
        p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.04
        gettext-runtime-0.19.8.1_1
$

All my packages are up to date with the binary package repository:

$ sudo pkg upgrade
Password:
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Checking for upgrades (2 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (2 candidates): 100%
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.
$

I need to continue using git on this system.  What actions do I need to
take (if any) to respond to this issue with p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.04?

Thank you!

--
Chris

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the
Universe." -- Carl Sagan