Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 20:54:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        Thomas Arnold <tom@inna.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Non-Intels

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Thomas Arnold wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Howard Lew wrote:
>
> > by default, no flags were set for the npx.  Setting the flags (0x7)
> > brings memory speed up (this is true for the K6 too).
>
> Where are these flags being added?  on the npx device in the kernel
> config?  I've been using a K6 since my rep at FAI sold me a prerelease
> one.  Was happy to buy it for $240 and then see it rise to $300 for a
> couple weeks.  :-)

These npx flags can be added to your custom kernel /sys/i386/conf.
Actually, I meant to take them out and see if that would do anything
although it sounded like I said to put the 0x7 in.  Anyway, putting it in
does boost memory speed quite a bit.

i.e.
device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" flags 0x7 irq 13 vector npxintr

Not sure if putting those flags will cause compatibility problems though
because if you only have your cpu defined as:
cpu             "I586_CPU"

does the system expect to be able to use that Pentium compatible
code...  Then again, I don't know because I am not a Pentium expert.

> Thanks.

anytime...