Date:      Sat,  5 Dec 1998 15:54:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      tj-fbsd@funbox.demon.co.uk
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysconfig, or, the SysV vs. BSD init wars

Brian Cully <shmit@kublai.com> wrote:

> I've spent the last few weeks working on and off on a replacement for
> /etc/rc, and given the recent traffic regarding such, I figured now's
> a good time to tell the world.
>
> The program itself, sysconfig (probably should be called sysinit,
> given it's functionality), should be called from init instead of
> /etc/rc, and sysconfig reads it's data out of /etc/system (or
> something). The syntax of the file looks like this:
[...]
> I'd really like feedback on this

It looks as if you've put a fair amount of thought, and work, into this.

However, I find myself thinking that shell scripts (or a monolithic
script) are very flexible, easy to alter and to check, and more than
adequate for the job.  For my part, I don't see the necessity (or, I'm
afraid, the desirability) for changing from script(s).

Of course, one of the attractions of Unix is that one can do one's own
thing (tm :)... but my vote is for the shell script.

Tim (who seems to be a neo-traditionalist at heart)

--
Tim Jackson                                             London, England.