Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 13:19:17 -0700
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XML-based ports system ?

At 2:56 PM -0500 5/29/01, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
>This might be somthing to propose to openpackages.org as I don't think
>anything is going to change drastically in the ports system until
>openpackages is implemented.

The peculiar thing about the Ports Collection is that the real value
lies in 5000+ tiny little directories, rather than in the massive
Makefiles that Jordan and friends created.  Each of the little files
contains a small amount of information about a given package, mixed
in with information about FreeBSD (where things are stored, etc.).

The ideal situation (IMHO) would be to separate the package and OS
information as much as possible.  This would make it possible for
the same package description to handle a range of OS targets.  This
is a difficult thing to accomplish, however, and may take a few years
of careful development.  In the meanwhile, why not do a few, trivial
things that will allow all of the BSDs to stop duplicating effort?

In short, I think I would rather see the OpenPackages folks take the
(relatively) small step needed to join the current Ports collections.
With that out of the way, a move to an abstract system would be far
simpler to accomplish.

-r
--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm - home page, resume, etc.