Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 97 20:59:59 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@super.zippo.com>
To:        "freebsd-doc@freebsd.org" <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>, "Kwok Wah" <eg_kwx@stu.ust.hk>
Subject:   Re: do i need to remove win95?

Thanks for your interest in FreeBSD I am going to try to answer your
question and to give you some pointers.

The first thing I would like to point out is that this list is for
the documentation project of FreeBSD. For questions about FreeBSD,
like the one you just made, you would get better response from the
questions mailing list: questions@freebsd.org.

to subscribe to the questions list sent an email to
majordomo@freebsd.org with the text "subscribe freebsd-questions" or
if you prefer one daily message "subscribe freebsd-questions-digest".
To see a list of all the lists managed by that host send  email to
that same email address (majordomo...) with the text "lists" (or list
I can't remember).

>Does FreeBSD a "unix emulator running on MS-DOS or a real operating system
>that really boots up my machine?

It is an operating system just like DOS and Windows 95 are. It is a
variant of Unix. You can run it on the same computer as other
operating systems given you have a program called a boot manager. You
will not however be able to run FreeBSD on top of Dos or Windows. It
is run instead of those.

>I wonder if it is just like the linux...

In the sense that Linux is also a variant of  Unix, yes it is like
Linux, other than that they have many differences.

>that maybe some games running on ms-dos cannot run on FreeBSD...

Probably most DOS games will not run on FreeBSD (specially the really
fancy ones made for win95). FreeBSD, just like any operating system,
has programs which are compiled to run specifically under it and has
some emulation to run "some" programs from other operating systems.

A good place for you to find a lot more about FreeBSD is
http://www.freebsd.org
In there you want to particularly look at the Docs section (you can
use the bar at the top) and check out the Handbook. It will answer
many of your questions.

Take care and let us know if you have further questions, but please
do send them to questions@freebsd.org